- July 8, 2017
- Posted by: Sage Shield Safety Consultants
- Category: Global Safety News
A ROOF cleaner and painter who contaminated three Coast properties with asbestos-containing material has faced court.
Jason Trevor Clode had been contracted to clean and paint the roof of a Currimundi home, and told an apprentice to use a high-pressure water blaster to clean the surface.
Barrister for Workplace Health and Safety, Peter Hurrey, said the result of that was asbestos-contaminated material was sprayed onto three properties.
“The asbestos-contaminated material was largely encapsulated in the paint and therefore the risk of exposure was not great to the public, or to other people unless it was then subsequently broken down by people treading on it,” he said.
Yesterday Clode pleaded guilty to breaching the Workplace Health and Safety regulation and told Maroochydore Magistrates Court the contamination had been a mishap.
“Prior to starting the job it was not in our intentions at all for this outcome,” he said.
“In 32 years of roofing I haven’t had anything like this.
“It’s something that I got wrong on the day and I’ve learned from it.”
Magistrate Rod Madsen fined Clode $ 750 and placed him on a 12-month good-behaviour bond.
Mr Hurrey said the cost of the contamination report and clean-up, which Workplace Health and Safety Queensland arranged for Queensland Asbestos Management Services to carry out in the week following the contamination, would have to be recovered from Clode in civil action.