- May 23, 2017
- Posted by: Sage Shield Safety Consultants
- Category: Global Safety News
Following an interim recommendation from the Best Practice Review of Workplace Health and Safety, the Queensland Government will introduce the new offence of “negligence causing death”.
The Best Practice Review of Workplace Health and Safety was established following the Eagle Farm and Dreamworld tragedies in 2016 and is due to report to the Government by 30 June 2017.
Employment Minister Grace Grace said the state government supports Independent Reviewer, Tim Lyons preliminary view that the offence should be created.
“The Government’s support of this recommendation will mean that Mr. Lyons can consult with stakeholders to determine the best practice model for introduction and implementation of the offence, rather than further considering the merits of its introduction.
“Of course, the scope of the review is much wider than this issue and includes an audit of work health and safety laws, procedures, inspections, investigations, and prosecutions.
“This announcement will allow Mr. Lyons to comprehensively report to me, on these various issues, by the allocated date, ” M. Grace said.
“After these tragic events last year, concerns were raised about public safety and workplace health and safety matters in Queensland and the effectiveness of current offences and penalties under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
“We want to ensure our workplace health and safety laws are operating at best practice and the Government is prepared to make the relevant changes to ensure this is the case, ” Ms. Grace said